Hexagram 4: IBT
The week is tiring, but is rewarded with rest.
Though the week is empty and devoid of happiness, it rests upon a sure foundation of contentment. That which is empty can be made full without error following. The Wise One knows to strive for fulfillment without clinging to the past.
- Line 6 -- The week is strong and does not let go. Last minute problems hinder progress. The Wise One waits until the boss leaves, then seeks his true path. Only the fool panics.
- Line 5 -- Difficulties arise, causing opportunities to be lost. Though the hour of happiness is past, the Wise One does not complain. Setbacks are short-lived and cost but little in the end.
- Line 4 -- Though problems be left behind, yet they dwell in the mind. Happiness is elusive when worries prevent a return to sure foundations.
- Line 3 -- The waitress is not pleasing. This line, which is soft and Yin, turns hard, straight and Yang. The Wise One does not let this deter him from his true purpose.
- Line 2 -- The path to deepest fulfillment becomes difficult to attain. The prize which awaits in the recess remains hidden. The Wise One knows to try again until all obstacles dissolve. Only the fool accepts defeat.
- Line 1 -- All foundation for happiness is removed. All attempts to achieve one's purpose slip through one's fingers like rivers rushing to the sea. With emptiness above and emptiness below, the Wise One retreats to rest.