Hexagram 14: Fighting Fires
The young programmer furiously stomps out fires, wherever they may arise.
Problems arise at the last minute. There is no time for proper procedures, as fixes are required immediately. The Wise One moves from crisis to crisis, deftly making changes wherever problems occur. Only the fool panics at the backlog.
- Line 6 -- Problems are found and corrected with skill. The code is restored to profound beauty. Great progress is possible. The supreme efforts of the programmer will not go unnoticed and blame will later be assigned.
- Line 5 -- Fixes are tested, giving the illusion of golden code. The fool rejoices as each test program completes. The Wise One remembers these tests have always passed, and hopes that all is well.
- Line 4 -- Code is added, patch upon patch, until old problems are removed. The result can be happiness or grief, since haste can create new problems. The Wise One proceeds with caution, knowing fixes are often food for the dragon.
- Line 3 -- Code is written and reveals the great beauty of the design. But ministers convene and demand changes in the final hour. The code is fixed, demands are satisfied, but the beauty is lost. The Wise One vows to make amends when the next project starts.
- Line 2 -- The winds of change make fires burn bright and hot. The fires consume that which is not beautiful, and from the ashes emerges the golden code. The Wise One rejoices, for he has reached the goal without writing endless reports. Great progress.
- Line 1 -- Great error has been committed and further patches are without merit. The Wise One sees progress is at a standstill and rewrites the whole program. Only the fool continues on the same path into darkness.